Amy Owens - Introduction to Brush Calligraphy
Amy Owens will be teaching a fun, interactive, hands-on workshop in brush pen calligraphy. During the three-hour long class, students will:
- explore types of markers
- learn how to properly hold your pen
- gain an understanding of guideline terminology
- practice basic strokes
- try out a "modern" calligraphy alphabet
- practice a sign-painting inspired alphabet
- learn how to achieve that modern bouncy calligraphy look
- explore different applications for this fun, playful medium
The class is designed for adults, but kids 10 and older are welcome with adult supervision nearby. Amy will be teaching towards beginners - no prior experience necessary. If you do have some lettering experience, you will also benefit from this class.
Required supplies WILL be used in class, the optional supplies are things that I will demonstrate with in the class but are not necessary to learn brush calligraphy but would be great to have as you continue to practice.
- 1- Pentel Touch Sign Pen Brush Tip any color
- 1- Tombow Fudenosuke Brush Pen - hard tip - any color
- 1- Tombow Fudenosuke Brush Pen - soft tip - any color
Please purchase at least one of the three required pens in a color besides black
- 1- Canson Pro Layout Marker Paper, 9x12 (This is a semi-translucent paper that works well with markers and allows you to see through to trace or use guidelines underneath).
- Wide-tip colored Tombow Dual Brush Pens or other wide-tip brush pens in different colors
- A pale gray Tombow Dual Tip N89 Warm Gray 1 (for making shadows)
- A pale grey Faber-Castell PITT artist brush pen #270 Warm Grey 1 (for making shadows)
- White Gelly roll gel pen 08 Medium