Do not buy anything if you have the items listed. Buy only items you do not have or want to try from Paper & Ink Arts. If you have favorite nibs and papers and other items similar to the list bring those to the class.
- Pen Nibs (select one or a few):
Leonardt Principal nib, Brause EF 66, Hunt #22, Hunt #56, Hunt #101, Gillott #303, Nikko G, Zebra G, Esterbrooks, or any pointed nibs you like to use.
- oblique pen holder and regular pen holder
- Small nib holder for crowquill and Brause EF66 nibs (optional)
- Ink/Paint (select one or a few):
Zig Kuretake sumi ink, McCaffery Penman's Black ink (or any dark color), Higgins Eternal, Japanese stick ink (with ink stone), Old World iron gall ink, Ziller ink, etc.
- Gouache: any dark color
- Other gouache colors or bottled inks you like, or Finetec golds
- Practice Paper (select one of the following):
Bienfang Graphics 360, 11 x 14" pad, Borden & Riley Cotton Comp, 11 x 14" pad
- Optional: graph paper, smooth surface for calligraphy pad (8.5x11" or 11x17"), 8 squares to an inch or Clairfontaine graph or ruled pads (8.5x11")
- High Quality Paper: select one kind or whatever you have that is fairly smooth and will not bleed (such as Arches hot press, Frankfurt, German or Fabriano Ingres, Stonehenge, Strathmore Artagain black, Clairfontaine Triomphe, Rhodia, etc.) Various colored paper is good too, like black
- Cut your paper to smaller sizes such a 8.5x11", 9x12", or 11x14" for easy transportation.
- Pencils (2H, HB)
- Pencil sharpener,
- Ruler for measuring
- T-square (18" or less is okay)
- Triangle (30/60 or 45, 12" or less)
- Drafting or artist's tape
- Rags/paper towels
- Water container
- Dinky dips or equivalent small containers for ink/paint
- Mixing brushes
- List of words that are all related, such as flower names, vegetables, trees, toys, names, places, landmarks, states, cities, countries, etc.
- Any text for practice, e.g. poetry, quotations, literature, alphabet sentences
- Ames lettering guide
- Drawing board or smooth surface to work on
- Adjustable triangle or protractor
- Pounce/gum sandarac/gum arabic
- X-Acto knife or scissors for cutting
- Ott Light for additional lighting and extension cord