Logos Calligraphy - Spencerian Strokes
Learn the delicate strokes of this timeless script...
Developed by Platt Rogers Spencer (1800-1864), Spencerian is a form of penmanship that grew in popularity and was considered America's writing standard during the 19th and early 20th century. To no surprise, these graceful and romantic letterforms continue to be well sought out today.
In this Spencerian Strokes course, we will take a deeper look into the principles, study the structures, and I will walk you through each letterform so that you can easily learn and start incorporating this beautiful script into meaningful, handwritten projects like cards, letters, weddings, and more!
Supplies Needed for the Course
The following is a recommended list of materials you will need for the course:
- Pen Holder - I personally write with an oblique, but if you prefer the straight, that's fine too! A good inexpensive starter holder is the Dual Workshop Holder ($6.49) or the Moblique holder. You can read more about penholders on my blog here.
- Paper to print guidesheets on. HP Premium32 is a good one, but if that's not available in your country, use any smooth paper that takes ink well without bleeding! You can also use Borden & Riley #37 Marker Layout Paper or Canson Pro Layout Marker Pad on top of your guidesheet
- Ink - My favorite black ink is the Moon Palace Sumi Ink. I also love practicing with walnut ink. It's nice to play around with colors but for the course, it's best to keep it simple. I like to use dinky dips or dropper bottles to store my ink.
- Pointed, flexible nib - I personally enjoy writing with a Hunt 22b, Nikko G, Leonardt Principal EF, and Gillott 404. For this particular script, I like staying with the firm to medium-flex nibs vs. super flexible nibs. Because everyone's hand is so different, try a variety of nibs to see what you are most comfortable with.
- A Pencil & Eraser - I recommend using a mechanical pencil (.5mm or .7mm). Any brand is okay. My personal favorite is Pentel Graphgear 500.
- Colored Pens/Pencils - *Optional* I will be using colored pens to further demo the strokes and like using them for my study. Feel free to follow along with your own colored pens!
- Computer/Laptop with Wifi - The course videos can only be accessible through a browser and internet access. Course registration is for ONE person only. Downloading/sharing/recording the videos is strictly prohibited
- Printer - I will be providing scans, worksheets, homework exercises that you can print out at home. You may want to put them in protective sheets in a binder for your self study!